Gold Dips But Holds Above $1650

Gold Dips But Holds Above $1650

Gold dips on a stronger dollar, but holds the line above $1650 an ounce as investors awaited Wednesday’s meeting of Federal Reserve policymakers and anticipated another large interest rate increase to curb soaring inflation.

Trading today is expected to be light as the London Bullion Market, the world’s largest physical gold center, will be closed for the Queen’s funeral.

High interest makes gold a less attractive investment, though the yellow metal has been a traditional hedge against inflation. The warring factors will likely keep the precious metal rangebound in choppy trading at least through the monetary policy decision. 

Front-month gold futures tumbled 2.6% last week to settle at $1,683.50 an ounce on Comex, though they rose 0.4% Friday. Bullion dropped 3.1% in August after declining 1.4% in July. The metal retreated 3.5% in 2021. The December contract is currently down $11.10 (-0.66%) an ounce to $1672.40 and the DG spot price is $1669.50.

Investors are betting there’s an 82% chance of a 75-basis-point rate increase on Wednesday, with 18% projecting a 100-basis-point hike, according the CME FedWatch Tool. A month ago, 59% had anticipated only a 50-basis-point increase amid speculation at the time that the Fed’s previous rate hikes would have started to turn the inflationary tide. None anticipated a 100-basis-point gain until the latest consumer price index report came out last week, showing an increase in August from July and crushing hopes that the Fed’s previous rate hikes had stemmed further increases from 40-year highs in inflation.

The Fed raised rates by 75 basis points each in June and July and has increased rates by 225 basis points this year to combat surging inflation. 

An increasing number of economists are sounding the alarm that the Fed’s aggressiveness and similar moves by other central banks could tip the global economy into recession

So investors will also closely parse both the Fed statement Wednesday and Fed Chairman Jerome Powell’s comments after the meeting for the economic outlook as well as indications on how aggressive the central bank intends to be for the rest of the year and into 2023. Policy decisions are also due this week from the Bank of England, Bank of Japan, and a number of other central banks.

Front-month silver futures rose 3.3% last week to settle at $19.38 an ounce on Comex after the December contract advanced 0.6% Friday. Silver tumbled 12% last month after slipping 0.8% in July. It retreated 12% in 2021. Silver prices are tied to industrial demand. Currently, the December contract is down $0.096 (-0.50%) an ounce to $19.285 and the DG spot price is $19.43.

Spot palladium decreased 2.8% last week to $2,146.00 an ounce after dropping 1% Friday. Palladium retreated 3.3% in August after rising 9.9% in July. It dropped 22% in 2021. Currently, the DG spot price is up $8.80 an ounce to $2136.50.

Spot platinum rose 2.7% last week to $916.60 an ounce, though it slipped 0.1% Friday. Platinum tumbled 6.1% in August after decreasing 0.3% in July. It fell 9.4% last year. The DG spot price is currently up $5.40 an ounce to $918.40.


Disclaimer: This editorial has been prepared by Dillon Gage Metals for information and thought-provoking purposes only and does not purport to predict or forecast actual results. This editorial opinion is not to be construed as investment advice or as a recommendation regarding any particular security, commodity, or course of action. Opinions expressed herein cannot be attributable to Dillon Gage. Reasonable people may disagree about the events discussed or opinions expressed herein. In the event any of the assumptions used herein do not come to fruition, results are likely to vary substantially. It is not a solicitation or advice to make any exchange in commodities, securities, or other financial instruments. No part of this editorial may be reproduced in any manner, in whole or in part, without the prior written permission of Dillon Gage Metals. Dillon Gage Metals shall not have any liability for any damages of any kind whatsoever relating to this editorial. You should consult your advisers with respect to these areas. By posting this editorial, you acknowledge, understand, and accept this disclaimer.