Gold Enjoyed A Bump Up

Gold Enjoyed A Bump Up

Gold enjoyed a a bump up this morning on continued trade uncertainty over the U.S.-China trade accord and disappointing Chinese producer price data over the weekend.

The yellow metal settle at $1,462.90 an ounce Friday on Comex. It rose to $1,467.90 earlier this morning, but is back to $1,461.30.

U.S. President Donald Trump said Friday that he hasn’t agreed to roll back tariffs on Chinese goods, muddling sentiment that a trade deal to end the standoff between the two countries was imminent.

“I haven’t agreed to anything,” he told reporters at the White House Friday, according to The Wall Street Journal. “But we’re getting along very well with China. They want to make a deal. Frankly, they want to make a deal a lot more than I do.”

Equities in Asia slid Monday, the markets’ first chance to respond to the statement. Stocks also fell as Hong Kong’s political crisis escalated.

In economic news, China’s producer prices decreased the most in more than three years in October. The producer price index fell 1.6% last month from a year earlier, the steepest decline since July 2016, according to National Bureau of Statistics data Saturday. Analysts surveyed by Reuters had forecast a 1.5% contraction. In contrast, China’s consumer price index rose at the fastest pace in almost eight years.

Investors continue to keep a close eye on economic news for indications on whether the Federal Reserve will cut interest rates for a fourth consecutive time in December. The CME FedWatch Tool showed just a 5.2% probability of another cut at the Federal Open Market Committee’s next meeting Dec. 11, while 94.8% predicted no change early Monday. The figures have shifted from a week ago, when 88.2% predicted no change and 11.8% anticipated another cut.

This week, Fed Chairman Jerome Powell will address the Joint Economic Committee of Congress on Wednesday in Washington. China will report retail sales and industrial production data Thursday, and U.S. retail sales data are due out Friday.

Silver was little changed early Monday after tumbling 6.6% last week, outpacing gold’s decline. The most-active December contract settled at $16.87 an ounce on Comex, the lowest level in three months.

Spot platinum also fell 6.6% last week, and spot palladium was down 3.4%.

Disclaimer: This editorial has been prepared by Dillon Gage Metals for information and thought-provoking purposes only and does not purport to predict or forecast actual results. This editorial opinion is not to be construed as investment advice or as a recommendation regarding any particular security, commodity or course of action. Opinions expressed herein cannot be attributable to Dillon Gage. Reasonable people may disagree about the events discussed or opinions expressed herein. In the event any of the assumptions used herein do not come to fruition, results are likely to vary substantially. It is not a solicitation or advice to make any exchange in commodities, securities or other financial instruments. No part of this editorial may be reproduced in any manner, in whole or in part, without the prior written permission of Dillon Gage Metals. Dillon Gage Metals shall not have any liability for any damages of any kind whatsoever relating to this editorial. You should consult your advisers with respect to these areas. By posting this editorial, you acknowledge, understand and accept this disclaimer.