Gold Rose On Trade-Deal Fears

Gold Rose On Trade-Deal Fears

Gold rose on trade-deal fears early Wednesday and have now leveled off in anticipation of the FOMC minutes which will be released this afternoon.

U.S. President Donald Trump renewed a threat of tariffs on Chinese imports on Tuesday. “If we don’t make a deal with China, I’ll just raise the tariffs even higher,” Trump said during yesterday’s Cabinet meeting, according to Reuters. The two countries have been working toward signing a phase-one trade deal this month.

But trade talks between the two superpowers are in danger of reaching an impasse, according to The Wall Street Journal, which cited former Trump administration officials and others following the talks. The two sides are still divided by core issues such as China’s demands the U.S. remove tariffs and U.S. ones that China will buy farm products, it said.

Meanwhile, the Senate late Tuesday unanimously passed legislation that aims to protect human rights in Hong Kong, where antigovernment demonstrators continued to hold out against police at a college campus early Wednesday, according to The Washington Post.

December gold futures rose 0.2% Tuesday to settle at $1,474.30 an ounce on Comex. Bullion increased 0.4% in the first two days of the week and is down 2.7% so far this month. Gold prices skyrocketed earlier this year as a hedge against uncertainty as the two sides squared off.

One potential wild card for today is the release of minutes from the last meeting of the Federal Reserve’s Open Market Committee (FOMC). These releases garner intense interest from traders in all markets as they look for indications that the Fed will cut interest rates for a fourth consecutive time in December. The CME FedWatch Tool shows a 0.7% probability of a rate hike at the Federal Open Market Committee’s next meeting Dec. 11, while 99.3% predicted no change early Wednesday.

In economic news, China cut its new benchmark lending rate on Wednesday in a widely expected move. While it data released Tuesday, U.S. housing starts rebounded in October, with permits for future home construction jumping to more than a 12-year high. MBA Mortgage Applications are due out Wednesday and initial jobless claims Thursday.

Silver increased 0.7% Tuesday and gained 1% in the first two days of the week, outpacing gold’s rally. The most-active December contract settled at $17.12 an ounce on Comex. It’s down 5.3% in November. Spot platinum and spot palladium were both higher Tuesday.


Disclaimer: This editorial has been prepared by Dillon Gage Metals for information and thought-provoking purposes only and does not purport to predict or forecast actual results. This editorial opinion is not to be construed as investment advice or as a recommendation regarding any particular security, commodity or course of action. Opinions expressed herein cannot be attributable to Dillon Gage. Reasonable people may disagree about the events discussed or opinions expressed herein. In the event any of the assumptions used herein do not come to fruition, results are likely to vary substantially. It is not a solicitation or advice to make any exchange in commodities, securities or other financial instruments. No part of this editorial may be reproduced in any manner, in whole or in part, without the prior written permission of Dillon Gage Metals. Dillon Gage Metals shall not have any liability for any damages of any kind whatsoever relating to this editorial. You should consult your advisers with respect to these areas. By posting this editorial, you acknowledge, understand and accept this disclaimer.